07 Jan WORK LIFE BALANCE
WORK LIFE BALANCE.
Myth or reality?
More often than not, the challenge workers face is achieving a suitable balance between life and work. Studies have shown that workers without the absence of a reasonable work-life balance has a negative impact on the affected staff members and invariably leads to a lower quality of life and a noticeable dip in productivity.
It only takes 21 days to change a habit? Here are some simple but effective tips to start the process of achieving work – life balance.
- Your calendar is your friend. It may seem awkward, at first, to schedule everything. That is one of the most important steps in achieving balance. By scheduling things on your calendar, it makes it easier to prioritize the things you need to do. Each day, you can decide when to schedule staff meetings, when to have lunch with an old high school friend or when to exercise etc.
- Know where you stand. It can be tough to make a choice between family and work however knowing when and where you need to sacrifice can make tough choices easier and give you a more balance life. Your work life and family life should be two separate entities that you should guard jealously.
- Have Fun. Life is hard enough. Make sure you take time to do what is fun for you outside of the office and take a break at work when you feel overwhelmed.
- Expand your support network. There is nothing wrong in asking for help from family, friends & co-workers. If you feel overwhelmed its more effective to ask for help. This will definitely help reduce your stress levels.
- Things don’t always work out as planned. It is a cliche that I f you want to make God laugh then tell him your plans. It is important to understand that despite your best laid plans things will not always work out that way. When that happens take a deep breath and start over.
The importance of successfully balancing your work, family and personal life cannot be overstated. So remember that age old adage ‘Work Hard Play Hard’ when you are trying to make sure your head doesn’t explode!